Sunday, March 23, 2014

What matters the most is to be present for your loved ones



            Extreme laziness and a cozy bed were my companions this morning. I’ve had a hectic week and I decided to relax before I begin the stretch of another hectic week. As I snuggled into my blanket, with my friends calling me for the Sunday morning chat,  my thoughts drifted to the happenings a week ago. It always makes me feel good when I recollect happy memories, and that’s the case with most of us right?

            Last Saturday was my Brother’s convocation. Being the “official ticket booker” of the family, I had to book tatkal tickets for my parents (from Bangalore to Trichy) and for myself (from Chennai to Trichy). These Tatkal sessions could be the most tiring ones if you haven’t got adequate patience to handle it. I didn’t.

           I couldn’t get my parents their tickets and I messed up with my ticket losing money, on deciding that I would get them bus tickets I lost money at the payment gateway as well, finally I had to ask my brother to help me with the tickets. And on top of it I wasted 3 hours doing this! Practically nothing!. It was a bad morning for the soul who woke up at 10 and skipped her breakfast to book tickets! I had a class that afternoon for which I hadn’t prepared and a project presentation on Monday for which I had to meet my mentor.

            A stressful morning ruined my day, and perceiving future uncertainties I decided not to attend my brother’s convocation stay back at Chennai and work on my project for a decent presentation on Monday. Convincing Dad and Bro on my perspective was an easy task, but, somehow Mothers have their own way of tackling their daughters right.. She didn’t shout, she didn’t tell me what to do, but the only thing she asked me was this, “He’s your brother, and you can’t make it for his convocation?”

            That was more than enough to make me feel horrible, not to mention the sorrowful evening I had! It was bad! A decision had to be made. I can’t travel in buses - they make me claustrophobic, and getting a train ticket for that night was out of reality. And for a decent presentation I had to be back on Sunday to prepare. I did!

            All the confusions last only till the tickets are booked. Dad can at best explain my confusions! Lady Hamlet he calls me “To be, or not be”. Anything I have to do, or any decision I have to make always had 2 options to choose from, well, that's also a trait of a Cancerian if you've known them enough..

            With less than 2 hours sleep that Friday night, I woke up at 5 for the train at 7.30am .It was a horrible journey! My choice of book for the journey “Train to Pakistan” turned out to be terrible! But well, I was travelling to be present at my brother’s convocation, it is important for him so it’s important for me, and my presence there would make him happy, and that is why I decided to travel 800 kms in a day!

            Being the youngest kid at home, one would have experienced the benefit of being such, let alone the fact that there are lesser scolding from the elders. But with me, I learnt more about life from my Brother than life itself. They’ve been lessons through example than through experience. When he had the experience I had the lessons. Those things that I ought to do and those that I ought not to. When he went through tough periods in life, the only thing that he told me is, “you better don’t do this, I do not want to see you suffer like me”

            The sibling rivalry, those days that passed like as though we were enemies for life, the chaos that we created that irritated everybody around, all seemed so immaterial right now. Maybe that’s what makes the Brother- Sister bond strong, I don’t know. Forever, through thick and thin we would stand.

            We were there exactly when the convocation parade entered the auditorium. It was a proud moment for all of us. And for me, being present there and meeting my brother after 4 months was what mattered the most. The smiling faces, and the joyous families, that feeling of accomplishment in everyone’s heart, that’s what made the day special..

            He had put on some weight, was a little shy when he walked up the dais, and he looked more handsome in his formals. His gold medal in “marketing subjects” was the most awaited, for I always knew my brother knocks it off when it comes to persuasiveness. And that happiness I observed from my Dad's expressions then. Priceless!

            After a little snack, and a little chat, and few crazy photography sessions, and get-togethers, and that crazy moment when i turned to observe the sunset at the far horizon, I noticed, Dad was enjoying as well :) we had the little family time, the last time we had one such was a long time ago!!! 10 months! We left for dinner, and through the journey we were deciding where to shift, and I was trying to prove why beloved Chennai is the best place to live..

            Time for me to leave, and in my 21 years and 6 months of life, that was the first time my brother dropped me at the railway station, I didn’t tell him that, but sure he’ll get to know it when he reads this :)

            The wait for the train merely made me more stressed after such a relaxed day, thinking about my ‘to do’ list for the next day. Early that Sunday morning I reached, the sleep cheered me up, and the fact that I was present there for my brother made me more cheerful. My presentation on Monday was extra ordinary and it could not have been any better.

And thanks to the prompt irctc and the bus services, all my lost money got refunded ;)
It's time to buckle up for the routine :)

4 comments:

  1. sooper experience and awesome write up...do take your time off from your busy college life to keep updating your blog now and then

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Ganesh Puttu :) Yes I will :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one! Was reminded of my convocation, when my sister was up to tantrums, but made it and we had a good family time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Kaushik :) :) Younger sisters are always upto some trouble right ;)

      Delete